Saturday, January 10, 2015

Hocus Pocus, Let's Get Some Focus!




I can only see lack. I'm writing and it's lack, lack, lack. Not enough. So outta focus.
Then it hits me; I'm focused on not having enough, hence my writer's block.
I'm focused on all the wrong shit for sure!
Let's try to turn this around and see if we can work our way through this very frustrating development.

First off, what is focus? Let's get literal-



Focus: noun \ˈfō-kəs\
: a subject that is being discussed or studied : the subject on which people's attention is focused
: a main purpose or interest
: a point at which rays of light, heat, or sound meet or from which they move apart or appear to      move apart; especially : the point at which an image is formed by a mirror, a lens, etc.

(Merriam Webster)
______________________________________________

Okey doke. The subject I am studying and wanting to discuss IS focus.

Next? Some more internet searching, obviously.
I stumble across an article on what you need to stay focused in 2015 by Phil Cooke.
Phil's take on the book-Extreme: Why Some People Thrive at the Limits by Emma Barrett & Paul Martin, is that resilience and single mindedness are the two most important traits when it comes to staying focused:

"Think about that in your career. How resilient are you? How many set-backs can you take before you give up? How much criticism can you handle before you wilt under pressure? And when it comes to single mindedness, how focused are you? Are you trying to accomplish too many things or are you zeroed in on your One Big Thing?

Take a few minutes today and reflect about your own resilience and single mindedness. The truth is, in case after case, people who accomplish great things – from inventors to artists to entrepreneurs to politicians to leaders of all kinds – have those two things in common."


What about discipline? Where does that come in? Certainly athletes, performers and generally anyone looking for success in their given profession requires self discipline, right? Where does that come from? Is discipline (not to be confused with abuse here) a learned practice from childhood? What exactly can you do to find you some if you were raised in a super loose household where there was no bedtime and sometimes dinner was served at ten p.m.-on school nights?? Self indulgent I totally get and have been living it for a l-o-n-g time now. Self discipline is a foreign concept and frankly I'm a little envious of those that possess it.



Where are we? Oh, yes, no focus ditto on the self discipline. 
This brings me back to my self forgiveness practice. Maybe I need to forgive myself for lacking these things throughout my life. Perhaps discover how to slowly learn to adopt some new ways of accomplishing things. Who knows....with a few additions and subtractions, life as I know it could transform into a well oiled machine for me!
I was blessed with imagination rather than determination!! lol

I only know one thing right now and that's that I absolutely love writing this blog. The lovely people who offer their opinions and graciously provide me with encouragement are amazing. My blog followers make me want to get up everyday and run 15 miles. That's a lie. I don't ever want to run fifteen miles. Ever.

Focus isn't magic. Focus requires much work and occasionally letting go. It's your devotion to something you truly adore. It's your complete and utter presence.

In summation, I'm working my shit out daily. I've developed some bad habits along my journey and I'm attempting to replace them with positive, life enriching ones. I'm working so hard to forgive myself and move forward. Forgiving myself for carrying around so much shame for too long. 



“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”
-Greg Anderson



As usual, I am sending you each love and strength. 
We are all in this together!
xoxo
Penelope